I believe that abortion truly is a matter that should be left to women. Judith Arcana's article urges the reader to realize that abortion is a "motherhood" issue, in which only the mother can make the decision. Although I can find one or two objections to a portion of this statement, when Arcana talks about how when a pregnancy is planned or expected, it is called a baby, but during an unwanted pregnancy, it is referred to as an embryo or a fetus, it struck me as all too true. She contends that "Conception is the beginning of maternity", meaning from the very first day the woman has entered motherhood. This seemed important to me, because I understand that since men will never (thank God) have experience a little person growing inside of our bodies, or face the decision of that baby's eventual life or death, we will never be able to understand the emotions this situation causes a woman to experience.
However, is it fair that Arcana worked in an abortion clinic? I feel as if its okay for her to be pro-choice, but working so close to one option is sure to skew her thoughts towards one direction over the years, whether she realizes or not. There is not much mention of alternative methods that do not end in abortion, but also do not force the mother to care for the baby once he/she has been born. Also, although eventually I believe it should come down to the woman to make the decision, in the case that the father is a concerned and permanent part of her life, it is the woman's duty to at least take his opinions and feelings on the matter into account. Otherwise the woman is no better or worse than those trying to dictate what she does because they both had a part in making the baby. But, were I in the situation, depending on the stage of life that I was in, and my relationship with the mother, I would respect any final decision that the mother was to make because in the end it is her body.
The Roe v. Wade decision was obviously one of the biggest steps in the pro-choice movement for women and stands one of the most fundamental cases in this country. Never should it be illegal for a woman to make a choice either way. I feel as if this is almost as fundamental as denying a person the right to vote, but even more pertinent because it deals with life and death.
Monday, March 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with Marcus.. COMPLETELY. Women should have the choice. Never will a man have to walk around with a big belly, proclaiming that she got knocked up. Although the fathers decision is often worth considering, I strongly believe it is the woman's choice. I was very struck by the two short excerpts in Listen Up. I commend Allison Crews for the decision she made. I also commend her for claiming abortion as an individual choice. I think it is important to note that pro-choice doesn't necessarily mean that a woman will have the abortion, rather it means that she has the choice if she wants to. I think we often assume that because someone is pro-choice she will automatically have an abortion and Crews is proof that this is not true. However, I was a little taken back by Inga Muscio. The woman is crazy. First off, it is entirely her fault for having three abortions and her feelings towards that incredibly terrible "vacuum" should have been enough to prevent it from happening again. Secondly, I believe that if a woman decides to get an abortion she should do it in the safest way. Abortions are unnatural and our bodies aren't programmed to terminate babies on our own. I understand that she felt uncomfortable. So what, get over it. I agree that it's an individual experience, I just strongly feel it should be done in the safest way. And until they figure out a safe way for a woman to have an abortion in her own home, they should be done in the clinic.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Marcus, a woman can do what she wants with her body, and I also agree with Logan that Inga Muscio is out of her mind. First, Muscio comes off as very anti-abortion for the beginning part of her argument by discussing how invasive and gruesome the actual abortion procedure is. I can see how it was a mistake the first time she got pregnant and opted to get the pregnancy aborted, and it had a deep impact on her life but not enough to take measures to avoid another two pregnancies. In the end we find out that she is not against abortion, just the medical procedure and tool used; a very powerful vacuum. I looked up this device and it is used to suck the fetus from the uterus or to suck the brain and crush the skull of the more developed fetuses (go to this link to see for yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICy6i_bzEGw). Anyway, for her third abortion, Muscio decides that she wants to try a natural abortion, a way that does not involve a man, but there is nothing natural about abortion. Also, it is just weird that she was standing there in her bathroom and this fetus just fell out of her vagina.
ReplyDeleteAllison Crews is another one that is crazy, again I say that there is nothing wrong with what a woman wants to do with her body, but this woman is so indecisive. She just should've gotten the abortion early on to avoid all the subsequent anguish that she later felt, the constant canceled and missed appointments, the agony of giving up her child to someone else. It would be very tragic to have to get an abortion, but I think it would just be easier for Crews to get one. Futhermore, it was irritating that she would go looking for help but then realizes that she doesn't want people telling her to do.
MAKE UP YOUR MIND!