
I found "Tight Jeans and a Chania Chorris" quite interesting. This was the same idea that I had covered in my newsflash. Tiny clothes and "raunchy" dancing are two things that are frowned upon in a WHITE society. I thought it was interesting how her parents accepted her sisters midriff just because the outfit was from India, rather than from Macy's. I think culture is a factor that feminists often overlook. Shah hit it right on the spot. I think we often analyze "the situation on white feminism's terms, which don't recognize cultural duality" (228) and it is important we start looking further than simply black or white.
I thought the Collin's article was quite interesting mainly because of the examples she presented. I do believe that Josephine Baker and Sarah Bartmann supported her argument quite well. However, when she provided examples of sexually repressed black women in the media today, she failed to acknowledge that many other females who aren't ethnically diverse also fall victim to the over sexualized media culture today. Destiny's Child? Jennifer Lopez? Britney Spears? Christina Aguilera? Destiny's Child "Bootylicious" lyrics are no different from Aguilera's "Dirty" lyrics. I do think she provides a valid argument, however her support can be questioned.
I think that the entire of idea of making sex and sexuality something that shouldn't be talked about needs to be changed. Schools need to stop preaching for abstinence and start promoting safe sex. Times are changing, and young men and women are having sex at a very young age. Even for the older generations, sex shouldn't be seen as tacky or slutty. I think the only way to change our oversexualized culture, is to be more open about it and begin exposing it to the younger generation.
I can agree with the things that Logan has said, however, i cannot agree with Sonia Shah. Shah comes off to me in her piece as a women just out of college that think she knows it all. She comes home and tries to get her parents to use "gender-neutral" language, for example, snow-person instead of snowman; give me a break here. Then she goes about trying to forcefully act like a feminist because she didn't get the attention she wanted from boys in high school. Now she is jealous of her sister because she sees her getting all of this attention from boys that Sonia never got because her sister wears the tight jeans and whatever else. However, I do understand the point of the article as Logan identifies in her post, but the message that I get from this article is don't try to be something you're not. If Sonia wants to be the girl to get all of the attention then good for her, do what you have to do and don't change who you are out of spite for other people.
ReplyDeleteI'd have to agree with Andrew on this one. Sonia is wayyy too particular and goes a little overboard. Snowperson instead of snowman? That's just silly. It's about choice here, dress how you want to dress, act how you want to act. Sonia's feminist image is far too contrived. If anything it's Sonia and not her sister that seems overly self conscious by trying to fit a "feminist" mold.
ReplyDeleteWith regard to young women having sex, I agree with Logan when she says "we can't pretend like it's not happening, nor should we continue to preach abstinence." So many parents still seem to be oblivious as to what their children are doing. I have several friends who were scared to ask their parents to let them go on birth control, so they did it "secretly" through the health center. I hope as our generation has our own children, we engage in dialogue with our children that lets them know there is nothing wrong with wanting to be safe and do away with this awkwardness and feeling of shame.
ReplyDeleteI also found the same flaw in Collins' article -- regardless of ethnicity, the media is oversexualized. It's hard to argue that only black women are sexually repressed, and almost seems naive.