For Levy to assume that the media is training women to behave provocatively is placing too much stock in the images that are portrayed, and not enough in the values that parents instill in their kids. As well as differing environments and pressure among peers. Also, people have been having promiscuous sex for decades. It is true that pregnancy rates would much likely be lower if more young women were better educated on the matter, but this is not to assume that there would be more or less intercourse happening within younger groups. If anything I feel it would just become even more present in high schools, and even middle school. One of my best friends lost his virginity the summer before freshman year of high school, and I can tell you he made sure he was protected and we never thought anything of it. Perhaps because I'm a guy.
In address to Logan, I think that her statement that girls are having sex for attention is almost complete B.S., and if I were a sexually active girl I would be quite offended. I have a hypothesis...girls have sex because they love it. As should anyone who chooses to engage in such behavior. If someone were to accuse me of only having sex with a girl because of some desire to be recognized, I would be pretty angry. Perhaps because one night I was lonely, or "disoriented" but those are different matters completely.
Here's a link to some images that were censored back in the 20's for being too "provocative". I think we would all agree that in this day and age these would be less than G rated. But it's just for kicks...
No comments:
Post a Comment