Friday, April 16, 2010

Newsflash: New Videogame Character With The Ability To....Rape Women??


Everybody has at some point played a game that involved role-playing, whether it be ‘Cowboys and Indians’ or a simple ‘Tea Party’ as a young child, to ‘Charades” as an adult. As we move into an increasingly technological world, where information can be sent across the world in a matter of seconds, it becomes easier for the world to become exposed to forms of media that would otherwise be unknown to other parts of the world. So is the case with a Japanese computer game called, “RapeLay.” The game is described as a “sex simulator.” According to CNN, “The game begins with a teenage girl on a subway platform. She notices you are looking at her and asks, "Can I help you with something?" It is at this point that the player can decide to grope the young girl. In the next sequence the character follows the young girl onto a subway train where more inappropriate touching ensues. Later on in the game, the character’s friends arrive and the player is given the chance to rape the primary girl as well as her sister and mother. Apparently the game even progresses to the point where the player can forcibly impregnate the girl and then force her to have an abortion. As the premise of the game explains, the character is motivated to molest this girl for revenge. Apparently the girl accused the character of molesting her, and when he was sent to court his wealthy parents got him acquitted and now he is on a mission. The release of this game only serves to show that as far as women western cultures have come through feminism, there are many places in the world that are still too accepting of this type of material in their cultures. For as much progress as women have made, this only serves to push that progress backwards. But who decides what the level of censorship should be, and when does the line cross from simulation to inappropriate? What I do know is that women in eastern cultures still have much further to go before they have reached a level anywhere near the level of progress made by feminism in western society. But are we able to judge other social norms by our own standards?

This game, unsurprisingly, has encountered widespread outrage and protest from various groups. Although it seems that with the growing publicity, this game has actually been widely published throughout the Internet and is actually available for download online. However, the protesting groups were able to get this videogame removed from shelves in Japan. But the fact that people would even be curious enough to play the game says a lot about our society. This videogame demonstrates more than just, ‘raunch culture’, as described in Ariel Levy’s book, Female Chauvinist Pigs. This is more of a display of just how much further many non-western cultures still have to go to achieve a state where women are not constantly degraded and disrespected on such a large and blatant scale. If this were America, Levy would assert that there was at least one woman behind the development and publishing of this video game. Because this example occurs in Japan, I don’t think that argument would be particularly relevant. However, the absence of any “female chauvinist pigs”, doesn’t make this any less a part of a particularly ‘raunch’ culture that most of us don’t really know much about. Because of our lack of insight on some of the many different cultures in the world, are we able to judge the way women’s roles play out in other societies? Obviously a game such as this would probably never leave the drawing board here in the U.S., but there were obviously those in Japan that felt this game was appropriate enough to make it to the shelves. Japan does happen to have some of the lowest crime rates in the world, and less crimes such as murder and assault per 1,000 people than some first world countries. So perhaps this media outlet does not have the impact on outside behavior that many believe.

The previous paragraph is not to in any way condone the images associated with the game RapeLay. Regardless of crime rates and individual behavior, the game is a sickening representation of quite a serious matter, and women all over the world should, in fact, be appalled. This only goes to show just how large the divide is between western and eastern society. This makes me think of the beginning of the chapter we read concerning the “Mommy Tax”, when the author is at the press conference with the large green check, showing that women now made ninety-eight cents to every man’s dollar made, when in fact the actual number was much lower. We see all of the progress being made my feminism including: Gay/Lesbian rights, as well as the search for equal wages. But meanwhile, on the other side of the world, games and images such as this, depicting women in these awful situations is still being published and distributed without the approval or any consideration for women. But at the same time, when does it shift from a censorship issue into a personal rights issue and a freedom of expression debate? I suppose this varies by region and culture. But it is no doubt that RapeLay proves we still have a long way to go.



6 comments:

  1. I was absolutely shocked when I heard about this video game. The fact that anybody, anywhere in the world, could think that a game such as this would be ok to create and sell is extremely disturbing. I agree that there is definitely a difference in terms of feminist progress between the west and the east, but on the same note, there are definitely people in the U.S. who were seeking out this game on the internet. I think that what it comes down to is that in the U.S., a game like this would never be created because it would be too public that we accept such behavior, which would be bad for our country's name. Behind closed doors though, there are plenty of people who rape women, think that it is acceptable to do so, and would enjoy such a video game. I definitely agree that we have not come as far as we think if such a game is out there in the world and people are seeking it out on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly coming from where I come from this would be like any other video game, but since I have conformed to better my self in society I have to agree and say it "its a bad game". I understand that raping women is horrible, I have a sister and to say the least I know people who have been sexual assaulted. What I cannot agree with is the ways in which people try and oppress other cultures with in our society. Like Marcus said the crime rate is way less in places where the game is being manufactured. Saying that their culture knows "whats real" and ours hides behind a system that pretends to be good. Like Michele says how far have we come if we do not sell it and people are looking for it on the net.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that this game exists and was sold on shelves in Japan is extremely hard to believe. I agree that such a game would never hit stores in the U.S. and am relieved that while messages of rape and male supremacy are subtly portrayed in our Western media, they are not outwardly condoned in games where raping a woman is the ultimate goal, the way to win. Seeing this makes me realize that while some of the advertisements we looked at this semester are offensive, they are no where near as degrading to women as some of the media accepted in other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I have little to no video game experience, I was completely horrified while watching this news clip. The act of raping women on screen makes the sexist game Grande Theft Auto seem harmless. I remember being shocked when I watched someone play that game for the first time, as the character screamed "cunt" and "bitch" at women on the street. While I think a game that allows for that should be banned, to hear of a game involving rape is completely sickening. I don't care what the psychology statistics say about video game playing and behaviour; showing/encouraging/allowing rape is NOT OKAY. If I have a visceral reaction to this video game, I can only guess that many, many other women and, hopefully, men do too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is, WOW! I had two guy friends through high school that would play video games like Grand Theft Auto all the time. Like Hilary said, I thought this was as bad as video games really got. You could see prostitutes walking down the street and you could even beat people with baseball bats if you wanted to.. pretty graphic. But seeing that this video game whose sole purpose is to rape women was actually produced and became popular is completely insane. I know that we always talk about how it's wrong to judge other cultures because we don't know enough about them, but honestly, should promoting the rape of women be acceptable in any culture?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of all the ways 'rape culture' is perpetuated through everyday things like movie, TV and videogames, this has to be one of the most shocking examples I've seen. I think incorporating rape into 'harmless' things like videogames allows them to become normalized and removed from how horrific the experience actually is, much like rape jokes which make light of the experience while also refusing to validate victims on the horror of their experiences.

    That said, I wonder if there is a safe way for people so inclined to explore the fantasy of non-consensual sex without actually hurting anyone. In particular, is this game that different from the practice of 'rape play', where consensual sexual partners act out a rape scenario? I'm not arguing that these fantasies aren't problematic ideologically, but on a personal level is it wrong to engage with those desires in safe and consensual circumstances? Although I guess commodifying rape culture in such an overt way is a lot more dangerous than experimenting personally.

    ReplyDelete