GO GATE!!!!
After talking about title nine in our class discussion, I thought it was important that you all knew how exactly "Colgate" feels on the subject. This is an article written by our very own athletic director on title nine. Its worth reading. Trust me. Go Gate.
I believe that Tiya Miles makes a valid point. Ignorance is the root of all problems. The second we educate ourselves, on any issue, we are able to assess the situation and we can proceed to make change. I often find that I am guilty of jumping to conclusions, without having all the facts. In class we always talk about how to bring about change. The first step, is getting all of the facts. After all the readings we've done in class, I must say it gets exhausting. It gets exhausting hearing white upper class women complain about their problems, and then having to read a counter argument complaining about how that article didn't address the other 75% of the population. I am seven different nationalities. Seven. I don't fit into any typical women stereotype, and I'm almost positive there hasn't been any articles written about Native Hawaiian, Chinese, French, Italian, German, English and Spanish women, but I do know that I face the same issues that every woman faces. So maybe it's time, we stop categorizing all the different types of women, and start fighting for rights for females. Every type of female. Whether she's rich, poor, black or white or everything in between. Lorde is right. We can't keep asking women of Color to educate white women, or ask that every female explain herself to a man when she demands equality. It should be a standard. Everyone is equal. I don't care what sexual preference, or color, or income you have. We all deserve the same rights. I also thing Peggy McIntosh makes a bold statement. She recognizes her advantage, rather than others disadvantage. But the truth is, not all people are like Peggy McIntosh. Who is to say that those who realize their white privilege will do anything to "lessen it or end it?" I mean, let's be honest. Who would? Who would give up there longchamp, frye boots, burberry Colgate lifestyle for payless and a state school education in Brooklyn? McIntosh, along with most of the authors we read, have bold ambitions for change. They get the facts, address the problems and sometimes, even provide solutions. But too often, the solutions sound good on paper but seem hardly realistic in real life. Maybe we have to take smaller steps to get to our final destination, rather than trying to make it in one big leap.
I'm glad Logan found this article by Dave Roach. He definitely brings up some good points, but he could have done so in a more tactful manner. Nowhere in his article does he applaud womens athletics or how far women have come. It makes Colgate female athletes wonder if they have the support of their athletic director behind them. I have had a very positive experience with Colgate athletics but this isn't the first time I've heard Dave Roach's name negatively associated with women's sports. The fact that he has said such things is definitely not a secret.
ReplyDeleteHowever, to play devils advocate.. as a women's lacrosse player, it's been quite exciting to see the sport grow at the collegiate level. In just division 1, there are 90-some teams. The number of men's division 1 teams is somewhere around half of that. To add another men's team, as Dave Roach points out, is nearly impossible when trying to comply with Title IX. At a school that has a football team, it's virtually impossible because of the sheer number of (male) players a football team holds. At one that does not, it still generally requires the addition of a women's team or two to balance.
Sure, Title IX is flawed. But the way Roach goes about criticizing it makes him appear to care about only 50% of his athletes.
I agree with Logan, in order to make a change or make a difference or even make an argument, you have to know all of the facts. However, it can be extremely difficult to see everyones perspective because everyone thinks in different ways. In Tiya Miles article, she thought or the members of her publishing group thought that it was offensive when one of the white girls offered funds to support the organization. Tell me if I'm wrong, but is it all that bad if a wealthy person wants to contribute money to an organization or group where the members may be less affluent? Furthermore, Miles goes on to say that someone in her publishing group criticized the Little Mermaid because she "has a negative impact on the self-esteem of the girls of color." I say then don't watch it if it's going to mess with your self-esteem, there are plenty of other movies you can watch like Bambi.
ReplyDelete"But the truth is, not all people are like Peggy McIntosh. Who is to say that those who realize their white privilege will do anything to "lessen it or end it?" I mean, let's be honest. Who would? Who would give up there longchamp, frye boots, burberry Colgate lifestyle for payless and a state school education in Brooklyn?"
ReplyDeleteI really agree with this statement Logan makes. Privilege or lack there of cannot be resolved by taking away the power of those more privileged than us. No one is going to be willing to give up their power. Furthermore, power is not a concrete thing that can be counted or measured. Is it necessary to take away power/privilege from others just to help others gain power/privilege? Not to be a pessimist but McIntosh's solution just isn't plausible. So how do we correct this? Can everyone truly be equal, or must some mode of hierarchy exist in order for society to function?
Perhaps in some utopian society somewhere, it is possible for everyone to live equally, without any sort of prejudice or inequality. But this is America. I actually agree with Mcintosh when she says that racism, sexism, and heterosexism are not the same, although it is difficult to discern what advantages and disadvantages come with all of these factors. As a black man, I know that I will face certain difficulties as I enter the real world, although I have not been significantly affected in my life up to this point, because although I am black, I am still a man. But I also recognize the problems that a gay man will have, regardless of race, and also the struggles of women from every race and sexuality.
ReplyDeleteEven though I recognize the problems with white privilege in our society, I honestly don't believe that everyone will ever be regarded as equal. Especially because of the capitalistic society that we live in. In a world thats built on competition, it is only natural for some to face certain disadvantages, while the dominant culture and population benefit from the simple fact that they outnumber all other populations. We can work to narrow the gap, but it is a long road.